Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Holt Cemetary: A Portrait of Neglect and Racism: From Birth to Death in New Orleans



I attended a burial in Holt Cemetary by Delgado College yesterday, and left in tears.



The state of neglect of this cemetary was shocking.


The neglect of the owners of the Cemetary (NEW ORLEANS LOCAL GOVERNMENT OWNED) was appalling, alarming, dire, dreadful, deeply saddening. When I asked people who had family buried there, some over 50 years ago, they all said the same thing... "It's always been kept like this".



When I looked around I could see the tender care, the flowers, the little plaques, the things loved ones leave behind, the families who care. And in stark contrast to the love and tenderness, I could see the neglect of the owners-operators of the cemetary.


And I wept. For all my planetary brothers and sisters who have lived in poverty, who have so little in life...



those who have been asked to tolerate so much... even in death.




ONE LOVE.

No comments: