Monday, February 8, 2016

HOME - 70119

I am back home in New Orleans.

Can't say that I am ready to write or photograph much yet. Partly I am trying to find new ways to earn money to support my volunteer work.

I am living in the 7th Ward and it feels so wonderful to be back home...

I love the culture of family in the neighborhood where I live, the sounds of children about, mothers watching children, music in the air, people walking in the streets and yes, crime. The murder rate in NOLA so far this year is 109. Mostly children with guns killing children - teens and youths on the cusp of being an adult.

I am deeply grateful to be home, I was sitting in the backyard yesterday listening to the music playing and the sound of children's laughter in the air as a celebration was being held in the street in front of a nearby empty school. Today as I was working/sitting in the garden, I hear the sound of drums and brass in the air... yes, I give thanks for it is good to be home.

AND THEN THERE IS THE MOLD... We deal with long term affects of mold post-Katrina. I find that I am coming down with some of the symptoms of airborne mold, mucus, coughing, tightness of breath. I had a respiratory therapist tell me this, as I had no idea what was going on. It seems the children are suffering the most, with asthma, often I see children playing in the streets by houses that haven't been fully gutted yet and it is heartbreaking. 

Monies available to beautify the city, yet in the poorer neighborhoods, buildings and houses left in semi - or un-gutted states of decay and mold.


No comments: